If your Project Management Office (PMO) is seen as a hindrance or merely a cost center within your enterprise, then it’s time to do something about it. PMOs should be viewed as enablers and liberators – not inhibitors and obstructers. In some cases, a company may be running a PMO but refuses to put an official title on it, which in turn restricts the PMO’s ability to make much-needed changes. In others, the PMO is simply not seen as a tool for success, it’s seen as something that bogs down processes and limits creative freedom. Regardless of where your PMO stands, there are many ways to help remove its stigma and transform the way it’s perceived within your organization.
Tips for Changing Your Enterprise’s PMO Mindset
While there’s no structure or series of procedures that will work for every single PMO, there are certain concepts that can help every business.
10 Tips for Shifting PMO Opinions
- Engage senior leadership – If you can get your decision-makers to involve themselves in the PMO, there’s a better chance that they’ll back it.
- Publicize the PMO internally – Share your successes! Show everyone how the PMO helps projects come in on time, on budget, and within scope.
- Become integral to the mission – Your results should be critical to the bottom line. If they aren’t, then you may need to re-think your project prioritization.
- Keep the PMO aligned to strategic goals – By understanding the role of each project within the portfolio, you can ensure that you are supporting the needs and objectives of your organization.
- Know your place – You are a means to an end; that’s it. The PMO is one of many tools within an enterprise that should be focused solely on improving deliverables.
- Increase profitability – Money talks. If you can reduce costs, people will notice.
- Supply insight – Keep the PMO looking forward. The metrics that you are tracking can be invaluable when it comes to completing future projects successfully.
- Identify risks – Strong companies know their weaknesses. The PMO can supply data on risks to management so that perilous situations can be avoided.
- Facilitate communication at all levels – Everyone should know what is going on within the PMO – from low-level associates to leaders in the C-suite.
- Remain efficient and effective – The PMO should have standardized, repeatable processes in place. Adjustments can only be made if metrics can be compared across the entire portfolio.
Removing the Stigma with Hammerhead
Projility’s Hammerhead solutions for Microsoft Project Online and Project Server give PMOs the business intelligence and reporting capabilities they need to transform enterprise attitudes towards PMOs.