Many Project Management Offices (PMOs) fail due to lack of collaboration. When team members and managers overlook communication amongst themselves, as well as with influencers and decision-makers, projects tend to stall and fall apart. To understand why collaboration is crucial to PMO success, all stakeholders must first acknowledge their place in the execution process. Then, the PMO can take steps to improve both its influence and synergy within the organization itself.
Unfortunately, collaboration within the PMO is complicated. In the project management (PM) environment, value is established when each stakeholder can see and understand their unique role. The PMO can seem overbearing when trying to communicate and define these roles, especially if it doesn’t have the proper tools to relay its messaging. This lack of collaboration can cause roadblocks, and eventually lead to complete PMO failure.
Communication is Key
Many PMOs forget their primary duty: standardization. They focus on management without setting up repeatable processes – making the PMO much less powerful than it could be. Once the PMO realizes that standardization is essential to success, key stakeholders must get involved in the process.
Collaboration between the PMO and its stakeholders is vital to PMO progress. It fosters:
- Productivity – When everyone knows what is going on, tasks can get done faster – with less process overlap.
- Creativity – Information and ideas can be shared between users of all levels, spotlighting new concepts and suggestions that can lead to innovation.
- Objectivity – With open lines of communication, every voice – and data point – can be heard. Decisions can be made based on current facts, instead of the loudest opinion.
- Accountability – When stakeholders and the PMO are working collaboratively, all parties willingly share accountability for the organization’s success.
Collaboration tools within the PMO need to be:
- Real-time. If data is old, it’s useless. Only real-time information can enable smart and proactive decision-making.
- Dynamic. Users must be able to work at the same time, with the same data. If a goal changes or a project’s health is in jeopardy, adjustments must be discussed and relayed immediately.
- Easy-to-use. If data must be moved around to formulate metrics or produce reports, it can become time-consuming and confusing. A consolidated, user-friendly system keeps everyone working efficiently.
Straightforward Collaboration with Hammerhead
Projility’s Hammerhead product line allows the PMO to collaborate with stakeholders with ease. Visually-appealing, on-demand dashboards present real-time data from Microsoft Project Online or Project Server. Metrics can be customized to meet different demands within the PMO, and data can be drilled down within a few clicks for enhanced visibility. Additionally, best-in-class, built-in reports offer tailored portfolio insight to managers and decision-makers.
Hammerhead incorporates collaboration into every PMO process. Instead of viewing communication as an afterthought, it utilizes it to reduce reporting cycles and improve resource utilization. With Hammerhead, the PMO can prioritize, manage, and adapt – all thanks to successful collaboration.
Projility provides expert solutions for effective change. We offer enterprise portfolio and project management solutions based on Microsoft Project Server and Project Online, with tailored dashboard reporting, analytics, and decision-making tools via our Hammerhead technology. Projility also implements professional services automation systems established on Microsoft Dynamics CRM Project Service, and presents cloud-based strategies, migrations, and hosting solutions through Microsoft Azure. Contact us for more information.